Tortellini al Forno Facile : Tortellini Bake Easy Way.
This is a nice way to make casserole, Italian way. Once you make tortellini al forno, choosing one kind of tortellini, you see so many varieties of tortellini that you can easily got hooked to this comfort food, experimenting with all kinds of them.
Our discoveries started long ago since both my mother and grandmother make / made pasta at home so we were used to have lasagna, ravioli and all other pasta beauties from scratch.
I do not make pasta at home. Our rhythm does not leave that much of time to do it. If there is any free time left, we prefer to dedicate it to music and books. It relaxes us both to listen to the sounds we like or to read in silence, away from all the noise. Besides, there are so many tasteful pasta brands that we really have no problem with using store bought once. I guess you all do the same, don’t you ?
Making it at home requires quite different life style than ours.
This tortellini bake is made with four cheese tortellini, Italian sausage, mozzarella, Tomato Salsa and fresh basil: tasteful, comforting, four seasons favourite.
The dish dimensions are 10 x 6 inches but more important is that it has 8 cups volume so as long as your baking dish is of 8 cups volume, it is not that important to have precisely measured dimensions in inches.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1½ cup tomato salsa
- Garlic to taste
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan, grated
- 6 cups Four cheese tortellini
- 1 cup light cream
- Peperoncini and origano to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella, sliced
- fresh basil to garnish before serving
- In a skillet, fry Italian sausage with oil until lightly brown and add tomato salsa and garlic.
- Add Parmesan and peperoncini
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Add tortellini to salsa mixture and gently combine.
- Cut mozarella to slices.
- Spray the baking dish and pour half of tortellini mixture into the baking dish ( 8 cups volume).
- Pour ½cup of light cream and 1 cup mozzarella over tortellini.
- Repeat the same with the remaining salsa/ tortellini, light cream and mozzarella too. That way you get two layers.
- When done, cover the baking dish with foil and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Take the foil away and bake for additional 10 minutes.
- Once baked, garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.