Tortellini Soup with Italian sausage ( Quick Version) : Hearty Italian soup, full of flavours and so easy to make !
It was late summer, several years ago, when I made Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage (Quick Version), using freshly made tomato salsa and my son fell in love with the soup instantly. It has become one of our top ten dishes and all time favourites so I prepare it no matter of the season. All the ingredients are available any time. Of course, when I run out of home made tomato salsa I use store bough one. Even chopped pelati serve the purpose. The only detail to take care of during the process are the spices and herbs. You should suit your own preferences since the taste depends on salsa you have bought or made. Also, there is really an abundance of different sorts of ready made tortellini so if you try different ones every time, you start to fall in love with beautiful Italian ways slowly but surely.
If you have any soup leftovers, they are tasteful the other day; just add a bit of water to the soup since tortellini (pasta) soak the liquids, boil the soup for one or two minutes and there you have an excellent meal at work or at home.
We did not have snow either for Christmas or any other day during holidays and children still hope to have some before spring arrives for real.
It is not the same to drive them to skating hall wearing a jacket only instead of being fully equipped for winter conditions.
There is no winter magic anywhere. Since last year was really strange one with lots of sudden weather changes, who knows, maybe we’ll get lucky and the boys and girls will make a snow ball or two soon … I’ll keep you posted …
- 1 cup Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 1 cup tomato salsa + 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup water
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups tortellini
- 7 Tbsp heavy cream
- Fresh basil leaves and grated cheese to garnish
- Put olive oil and Italian sausage into a medium sized pot and fry until meat becomes golden brown.
- Add garlic, tomato salsa and paste, water and salt to taste. Let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook as instructed on the tortellini package. My needed 8 minutes.
- At the end, add heavy cream, gently mix with spatula and let it boil for additional 1 – 2 minutes.
- Before serving, garnish with fresh basil leaves and grated cheese.