Classic Spaghetti Pie: Perfect savoury pie, Italian way !
Monday morning. Fog and rain. Both of us are busy trying to gather what we need to start the day. Returning inside to get umbrellas. Already tired before the school / work week has started. Happy to say make up hides it all. You know those days, don’t you ? Luckily it’s only 52 of them in a year…. Minus holidays and vacations. OK, not every one starts with rain.
One hour later, I am back to Earth, having breakfast and coffee, happy to see all the friendly faces at work. Girls have brought nice home made muffins so we really enjoy, still being thankful because the summer heats are gone.
As working day was coming to its end, I tried to figure out what to make for dinner: quick, tasteful, comforting. Since pasta is our „must have“ I decided to buy some ham and cheese on my way back home to make spaghetti savoury cake that my son will enjoy. Me too.
Here is the result and I truly recommend it. Bye until next Thursday !
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- garlic powder to taste
- Basil to taste
- 1 ½ cup ham, cubed
- 2 ½ cups Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cup spicy Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp bread crumbs
- Cover the baking dish with baking paper.
- Butter the baking paper and cover it with crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C / 356 F.
- Boil the spaghetti as instructed on the package. My batch needed nine minutes.
- While spaghetti are boiling, whisk the eggs in medium sized bowl.
- Add cheeses, ham, salt, pepper, garlic, basil and sour cream to the bowl and mix everything with spatula.
- In the meantime, spaghetti are ready; drain them and add to the eggs mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish ( 10 cups volume). Try to lay spaghetti in circles. Once baked it will be easier to cut the pie and will look nice.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- When taken out of the oven, leave for additional 10 minutes before serving.