Lemon Yogurt Poppy Seed Cake decorated with poppy flower is light and attractive cake, easy to make.
Festive days in spring bring a lot of possibilities for creation and playing with colors and flowers. Now, this is a small sized cake. The volume of the dish is 3,5 cups .
Since the poppies have just appeared on the fields of gold, it is a perfect occasion to use them to garnish the food and to emphasize their beauty. Again, the plant if of an ancient kind, existed already in Mesopotamia, one of the cradles of western civilization, encompassing the land between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers, both of which have their headwaters in the Armenian Highlands.
Cooking and baking can really take you anywhere you want. All you have to do is to take a book into your hands. I do it old fashioned way. Amazing.
If you are interested in poppy petals as a healing option, please contact your herbal medicine man. It is said to be an excellent tea ingredient for people having respiratory problems.
If you prefer using agar flakes instead of gelatin, use the same amount of agar as if you use gelatin powder.
- Ingredients for batter:
- 2 eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 6 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp poppy seed
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 drops of edible lemon aroma (oil)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp yogurt
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted, unsalted
- Ingredients for the glaze:
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 Tbsp gelatin or agar flakes
- Vanilla extract to taste
- Cut the baking paper to fit the bottom and the side of a baking dish. Butter the paper lightly.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry cake ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with the pinch of salt until foamy.
- Preheat the oven to 356 F / 180 C.
- Slowly add dry ingredients, yolks, lemon juice, lemon aroma, vanilla extract, butter and yogurt to have nice batter.
- Pout the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- Let it cool and place it on the plate.
- In a small pot, mix all the ingredients for the yogurt glaze and bring to boil.
- Boil on medium heat for one minute and gently pour over the cake.
- Garnish with poppy seeds and poppy flower.