Lattice Apple Pie prepared this way is an all time classic. Sour cream adds a special flavor. Perfection at it’s peak !
The holidays are gone, the fruits’ and vegetables’ reserves are still to be found and we all tend to make simple dishes after decadent days are gone.
This is an all time classic and I am sure that every house has it’s own way of making the pie. Just like you make the coffee to have it as you like it. Take a look at the dough ingredients for this one: sour cream really improves the texture and the flavor. Instead, you can use the same amount of yogurt but it makes a dough a bit dry and, while baking, it soaks the apple nectar and the result is not the same as if you would use the sour cream.
I have also made an experiment: there are many of you taking photographs of the cake bars on the top of your favorite coffee mugs so I have done it as well to see if I can do it and am specially proud to see it works for me as well 🙂
- Dough ingredients:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 yolks
- 7 Tbsp sour cream or yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Apple filling ingredients:
- 4 cups peeled grated apples (6 – 7 apples, depending on the size)
- 3 Tbsp sugar (or more, depending on apples' sweetness)
- Few drops of lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp rum aroma
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites whisked(until stiff tops form)
- 1 yolk and 1 Tbsp water for egg wash
- On a table, knead the pie dough and let it rest in the fridge while you prepare the rest of ingredients.
- Peel and grate the apples to have 4 cups
- On a pan, fry the apples, sugar and lemon juice.
- When the juice evaporates,take the apples away from the heat.
- Let them cool completely.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and divide to ⅔ for the skillet bottom and ⅓ for the lattice ribbons.
- Butter and flour the baking dish ( 8 cups volume)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Roll the dough to the size that covers the bottom and the sides of the baking dish.
- Roll the remaining third of the dough and cut the ribbons for the lattice.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add breadcrumbs, cinnamon, rum and vanilla extract to the apples.
- Carefully and slowly add the egg whites to the apples and pour the mixture to the bottom dough.
- Cover the filling with the ribbons, egg wash them and put the skillet to bake for 35 - 40 minutes.