Mac and Asparagus Frittata Bake : Loaded with cheese and seasonal vegetable.
There are many ways of preparing asparagus but our favourite is frittata. This version is enriched to make a lunch: a comfort meal of macaroni loaded with cheese, perfect for this time of year.
If your asparagus is a bit thick, you can peel the outer part and snap off the bottom, as with the rest of the spears. They break naturally, and you throw away the wooden bottom part as it is no use for making frittata.
I do not poach the asparagus but fry it for a while (7 minutes) in olive oil, slowly adding ¾ cup of water, salt to taste and oregano. When this is done, do not throw away the sauce as you will need some of it for the frittata. It is much better than plain water for the later stage of the process. It makes for richer flavours, and saves you wasting precious golden olive oil. Frying them for seven minutes makes them al dente with a rich green colour, which is just perfect for topping the base of macaroni, eggs and cheeses.
Once baked, it can be matched to any vegetable salad side dish.
If any is left over, keep it in the fridge for the next day to eat warmed up or at room temperature for your office lunch.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup water
- 3 ½ cups macaroni (pre-cooked)
- 1 lb or 45 decagrams (1 bunch) asparagus
- Oregano to taste
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 Tbsp Emmental cheese, grated
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan to sprinkle over the top
- 6 Tbsp sauce (left over from frying the asparagus)
- Rinse the asparagus and snap off the bottom of each spear using your fingers.
- Fry for seven minutes in olive oil, slowly adding the water. Add oregano to taste. Leave aside.
- Mix the 10 eggs well in a large bowl.
- Add salt to taste, macaroni, Emmental, black pepper, baking powder and the sauce left from the frying.
- Mix everything well with a spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C / 356° F.
- Spray a baking dish (13 x 9 inches approx.)
- Spread the egg mixture over the dish in an even layer.
- Lay the asparagus spears over the mixture, sprinke with Parmesan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.