Skillet Tomato Salsa Bathed Cod : healthy and easy to prepare !
I don’t believe in the lists people make of what to do in the new year. Not that I did not try. I did but it has only made me feel more under pressure and nervous every single time I made something that does not fit into the idea. So, I gave up.
What I do is slightly and gently slowing down and implementing little changes every day to test our capacities. This dish is one of the kitchen trials I have implemented for the sake of healthier eating during the week days. No bone fish is the easiest path to start with fish if cooking for children.
I decided to make this dish deliberately, thinking that nothing bad could come out of joined forces of fish bathed in tomato salsa and some polenta aside since we really enjoy Mediterranean food and tomato salsa is really must have at our home.
So, I came home with the plan elaborated in my head but, honestly, I did not know precisely how long will it take to make a dinner. So , as usual, I took a pencil, sheet of paper, measuring cup, skillet and started to create.
It took only 30 minutes to do everything (main and side dish ).
If you look at the ingredients’ list, there is no Italian seasoning since I use home made tomato salsa that already has it all. So, if you prefer to have herbs, feel free to add suiting your preferences. Suggested are: basil, oregano, thyme, peperoncini and garlic.
- Ingredients for main dish:
- 1.3 lb cod filet (cut to three peaces)
- 2 Tbsp sunflower or olive oil
- 1 cup Tomato Salsa
- Garlic and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion, quartered
- Rosemary and chopped parsley leaves to garnish
- Ingredients for polenta:
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 12 Tbsp polenta
- In a small bowl, mix tomato salsa, garlic and ground black pepper and water. Leave aside.
- Heat a skilet large enough for your cod filets and heat the vegetable oil.
- Place the cod filets into the skilet and season with salt to taste.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until the fish gets nice golden colour.
- Then carefully turn the cod over and turn for another 2 minutes.
- Pour tomato mixture over the filets together with quartered onin.
- Gently boil on low heat for 10 minutes.
- If necessary, gently shake the skillet instead of mixing the ingredients with spatula.
- While the cod is slowly boiling, mix polenta ingredients in a small pot and bring to boil.
- Boil and mix for 5 minutes.
- Serve cod with polenta and enjoy.