Gingerbread Cookie Dough Leftovers Baklava: sweet treat made from Gingerbread Cookie Dough Leftovers and phyllo.
Our ovens work full speed ahead. We all are so into cookies and other sweet and savoury dishes, doing our best !
At the moment, it is very cold here with some snow but I doubt it will last (at least this one) until Christmas; anyway, there is much more light coming in through the windows than usual so it is easier to be carried away with winter scene every time I look through the window and it is just nice to feel that way for a change.
The idea to make this baklava version came to me while I was cutting out Gingerbread Cookie Men. I left aside all the dough leftovers to take care of them later, after I finish the first batch and start colouring, hoping I will not need to call my chiropractor to squeeze me into his schedule. Literary. And then, it occurred to me that I could use the leftovers to make something else that would be a bit out of the ordinary but made of well known ingredients. A twist move.
So I kneaded the cookie dough leftovers adding a bit of milk ( 2 Tbsp) to make the process easier and the dough to be smooth and rolled to be flat and shaped using rolling pin to get two squares matching the baking dish size.
If you are too busy to do it this way you may just simply use the patches left to make layers on phyllo before baking.
Needless to say, phyllo is a store bought one. What you need is to measure the dimensions of a dish and cut the phyllo accordingly to have 21 layers fitting the baking dish dimensions. For my small batch of Gingerbread Cookie Dough Leftovers Baklava I cut 9 x 9 inches layers and covered them with dump towel to keep the moist.
- 1 package phyllo dough, thawed
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 9 oz ( 25 dag) Gingerbread Cookie Dough
- ½ cup pistaccio, chopped
- Ingredients for sugar and lemon syrup:
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Cut 21 layers of phyllo, suiting the baking dish dimensions ( 8 x 9 x 2 inches) and cover them with damp cloth.
- Grease a baking dish and leave aside.
- Roll the gingerbread cookie dough to have two layers of a baking dish size.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / 320 F.
- Place 7 phyllo sheets into baking dish, one at the time, brushing each sheet with vegetable oil once it's in the dish, place next phyllo and oil until you have 7 layers.
- Lay one gingerbread cookie layer on the phyllos in the dish and sprinkle with chopped pistaccio.
- Repeat adding 7 phyllo sheets, oiled when placed into the dish.
- Place the second cookie layer on the phyllo, sprinkle with chopped pistaccio and finish with 7 layers of phyllo, oiled as previous ones.
- Using sharp knife, cut baklava into squares pattern.
- Bake for 48 minutes or until golden brown.
- While baklava is baking, boil water, sugar and lemon juice in a small pot until sugar is melted.
- Cool the syrup.
- Once baklava is baked, pour the syrup over the top immediately, using table spoon.
- Let baklava cool completely ( over night, if possible ).
- If any pistaccio left, garnish baklava before serving.