Well, if you consider the ingredients, you cannot go wrong with them. In normal circumstances I would simply make a cheesecake. Definitely. But, there is a story behind these crinkles that is worth telling, as I made a discovery I’d like to share.
Everything started with my computer freezing. Sudden, unexpected, unforeseen! I followed the usual procedures but could not wake the monster up. Frustration reached a high level. You know the feeling, I am sure! So, instead of finishing the tasks as planned, I went to the kitchen to recover.
Sheet of paper, pencil, measuring cup, ingredients at room temperature; everything at hand to develop a recipe. I prepared the wet ingredients first, so that adding the dry ones created the right consistency for crinkles. Baking powder plays the main role since it helps the cookies to crinkle more easily, especially if you cover them with poppy seeds, which are much heavier than icing sugar or cocoa powder.
So, after an hour I took the crinkles’ dough out of the fridge and started to roll the balls into the poppy seeds. Even at that point, I knew it would work; I tried the dough and was satisfied with the texture even before baking; smooth, not too sugary, will go well with a cup of coffee.
I sat by the oven while the crinkles baked for 15 minutes, thinking how everything happens with a purpose.
Now, writing about it, I look at the leftovers, the computer is awake again and I am happy and healed! Who could ask for more?
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Lemon zest to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 6 Tbsp poppy seeds
- In a bowl, mix the egg, yolk, butter, salt, lemon zest and cream cheese.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, mix well and leave in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 356° F / 180° C.
- Cover a full sheet cake pan with baking paper.
- Put 6 Tbsp of poppy seeds in a shallow bowl.
- Using a table spoon, compress the pastry into little balls.
- Roll them in the poppy seeds and place onto the baking paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Leave to cool, then carefully place onto a plate.