Limoncello From Scratch : Italian Freezer Drink.
Limoncello from scratch requires several phases to make but it is worth of every second ! If you cannot get Sorrento Lemons (Limone di Sorrento), Eureka Lemons are excellent as well. I started to prepare my Limoncello three weeks ago since I got freshly picked ones, not chemically treated and this was perfect occasion to make good old Limoncello to enjoy during tremendous heats we experience during summer.
I keep the drink in small plastic bottles in the freezer and drink it as refreshing digestif during summer.
When started to make it, here it is how it looks on Day One:
Even if I don’t get fresh lemons, I purchase the ones at the street market carefully choosing.
Carefully choosing means I ask if the lemons are naturally grown, no pesticides. Honestly, if I get „Yes“ for an answer, this is not that much of a guarantee and I am totally aware of that fact. But lemons are the least concern among all the other poisons we are exposed to, right ? So,, I tagged it as „healthy“.
When peeling the lemons for Limoncello, I got 4 lemons to squeeze so I made Tea Time Lemon Bars and frozen the rest of lemon juice to have iced lemon cubes for lemonades.
On Day 21, Limoncello looks like this:
Limoncello from scratch could be used as a spread for fruit salad or as an ingredient for cookies and cakes.
- Zest of 4 lemons ( ½ cup )
- 2,5 cups alcohol (95 %) or Vodka
- 2 ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- Wash and dry the lemons.
- Pell the lemons using potato peeler ( that way you use yellow zest only and avoid bitterness).
- Place lemon zest into a glass jar big enough to pour the zest with 3 cups of alcohol.
- Let it stay aside for 21 days in closed glass jar. Avoid direct sunlight. Shake occasionally.
- Pour the alcohol through a metal sieve to catch lemon zest. You will have 2 ½ cups of beautiful yellow coloured alcohol. Leave aside.
- In a medium sized pot, on medium heat, stir water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. It is not necessary to boil the water. Let it cool completely.
- Pour alcohol into the sugary water, stir and pour into glass bottles.
- Rest Limoncello in the bottles for 15 days before consuming.
- To enjoy the flavours intensively, once Limoncello is ready for consuming, place the bottle into the freezer and enjoy after lunch during hot days of summer.