Spicy Taco Gnocchi : perfect combination of two beautiful passionate cuisines.
I would lie if I say we eat Italian food only. Mediterranean would be correct description. It is a fusion of so many beautiful influences made throughout the centuries.
So interesting changes were happening in history of this part of the world and I truly believe that the best survived. Not only related to food but to everything else: music, literature, fine arts, science, behaviour, nature, everything !
Luckily, it is not the case with this area only but with every other part of the world as well: so many beautiful people, sights and food wherever we turn to.
This Spicy Taco Gnocchi idea is, in reality, simplified Italian Bolognese made of pelatti or tomato puree only ( be careful with the spices though) and Taco mixture. Instead of spaghetti I used gnocchi so this makes another beautiful fusion of the world’s best flavours, at least to our taste.
Since you know I move the pots with herbs and spices from outside to inside of my kitchen window when cold weather arrives, I am so happy to have it by the hand whole year around so the leaves here are taken freshly from the pot, chopped and used to decorate food while releasing their fragrance which makes the dish so inviting ……
Also, below is the photo of the same dish I made about five weeks ago but served differently ( garnished with sour cream and parsley leaves ):
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2½ cup ground beef
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cup pelatti or tomato puree
- Water, if necessary
- 3 Tbsp Taco seasoning
- Chili powder to taste
- 2 lb gnocchi
- Avocado, cubed and fresh cilantro leaves to garnish
- In a medium sized skillet, combine butter and beef and fry until lightly brown.
- Add pelatti / tomato puree and water (if your mixture is too thick).
- Stir taco seasoning in and chili powder and let the mixture gently boil on low heat.
- In a medium sized pot, boil the salted water and add gnocchi to boil until they come to the surface ( 2 minutes approx).
- Drain gnocchi and stir into the sauce.
- Garnish with avocado cubes and cilantro leaves to taste and serve immediately.