Mexican Chicken and Black Beans Green Tortilla Wraps : Cinco de Mayo delish made under 20 minutes.
It is not that easy to make a quick and healthy week dinner every day as it may seem. You try to create different, interesting, inviting food to be served and eaten with pleasure. At least some of it.
We really are surrounded with the abundance of everything, during springtime especially, but creating something that may be different and slightly changed may result as a disaster and suddenly you find yourself getting some ham and cheese from the fridge to make a grilled sandwich to have with a glass of beer: not that bad actually 🙂
Since Cinco de Mayo is approaching, I thought of something Mexican and spotting a pack of green tortillas was a trigger, really. OK, I doubted between spicy and green tortillas version and decided to take the green ones.
I don’t know about you, but there are some must haves at our home so several kinds of beans, cheese and canned corn are always at hand ( for Mexican menu ) and this one is really easy and simple to make. There is something else I would like to note: I do my best to use fresh meat whenever possible : it really enhances the flavours of every dish.
On my way home, there are several small shops and farmer’s stands and it is not really that difficult to organize our life that way; not that I avoid big Saturday afternoon shopping but I prefer those little pleasures that are almost like an after work therapy. Lucky me, you maybe think; but you know, you are right ! Lucky me !
- 2 ½ cup chicken breasts cut to ribbons + ½ cup onion chopped + 3 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 bell pepper, cleaned, cut to ribbons ( I used two halves of different colours)
- Salt and chili powder to taste
- 2 cups sweet corn
- 1 ½ cup black beans, precooked
- 1 cup Gouda (Cheddar is OK, too), grated ( I used two colours to make it more attractive
- Sour cream, sliced green jalapenos or baby yellow peperoni to taste
- In a medium sized pan, fry onion, chicken breasts on sunflower oil until golden.
- Add bell pepper, salt, chili powder to taste and fry for 1 – 2 minutes to have vegetables al dente.
- Add sweet corn and black beans and combine.
- Warm one tortilla in microwave or on a pan and place it on a shallow plate.
- Put 3 Tbsp of filling on one side of tortilla, add some cheese and cover.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese to taste and warm the whole dish in a microwave to melt the cheese.
- Serve with sour cream, green jalapenos or baby yellow pepperoni. We had it all.