Blood Orange (Arancia Rossa) Brownies : Both in batter and glaze, blood oranges create a perfect fusion of citruses and brownies’ texture.
Is it obvious, by the first glace I mean, to define blood orange base for these Blood Orange (Arancia Rossa) Brownies ?
When squeezing them, juice was intensively red, really, but when combined all together with the rest of ingredients, it looked more like pale pink mixture so I added 4 drops of red food colour. Luckily, the taste is emphasized by the zest of three small blood oranges and the outcome is really amazing.
The final touch done once the brownies were completely cool helped the creation; Barbie pink glaze made them attractive and inviting. Moist and orange tasting slices (the whole batch this time) were gone for two days. Usually, I bake half of batch of everything but this was an exemption to the rule. Now, few days after, I started to think about using simple orange coloured oranges for another trial batch to see the outcome; what I should be careful with is the amount of sugar. Blood oranges were very sweet and, perhaps, if your oranges are not that sugary add some more suiting your preferences.
Have you ever attended oranges or grapes or olives harvest ? The days are hot, you pick the fruits, make the juices or store the fresh fruits to the basement, squeeze the grapes to make the vine, talk, laugh and eat, of course.
The evenings are special: everyone sitting around the table, relaxing and having fun …
Whenever we were harvesting the grapes in our vineyard, my duty was to coordinate cooking and in-cottage works. I was not exactly the happiest about it because I though I missed all the fun but you should have seen and heard old women inside with their stories and old ways …. Not once happened that pickers entered to see the real fiesta inside ……
- Ingredients for brownies:
- 2 eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 8 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp blood orange zest
- ½ cup blood orange juice ( 3 small oranges)
- 4 drops orange extract, optional
- I Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 10 Tbsp melted butter, unsalted
- 3 – 4 drops of red food colour, optional
- Ingredients for glaze:
- 10 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- 3 Tbsp blood orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Cover 7 x 7 inches pan with aluminium foil and lightly oil it.
- In medium sized bowl, combine butter, egg yolks, orange zest, orange juice, food colour, vanilla extract and orange extract.
- In medium sized bowl, whisk egg whites, sugar and a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add flour, baking powder and liquids mixture to egg whites and gently mix until even texture.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners sugar and orange juice to get smooth glaze and cover it on the top of the brownies.
- Cut 16 squares and serve.