Tuna Savoury Cake: So scrumptious savoury cake, perfect for gatherings !
Whenever I run out of ideas, canned tuna it is. While very young and away from my grandmother’s and mother’s kitchen, the easiest way to eat something quickly done was tuna pizza or tuna spaghetti or tuna salad. That habit has made me, even today, to have one or two tuna cans in my pantry together with pasta and tomato salsa, just in case.
Tuna Cake is my solution for that quick savoury dish if someone phones and say „ We are on our way. Are you at home ?“ „Of course, I’m at home. Bring some white wine !“ I say.
While waiting for friends to come, I prepare the mixture: it requires one medium sized bowl and 15 minutes. If the guests arrive sooner that the cake is done, no one cares. I am relaxed, also, since it is about the oven to finish the work, not me 🙂
The flavours fill the space and everybody likes them: smoked cheese and tuna inviting everybody !
If not hungry when they arrive, trust me, they become hungry while sitting and having a chat over drinks before the dish is served !
- 3 eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ onion, finely chopped ( 3 Tbsp)
- 6 green olives (pitted, chopped)
- 6 Tbsp grated smoked cheese
- 1 Tbsp parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup tuna chunks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Spray and flour two dishes (5 inch diameter) , each of 1½ cups volume. Leave them aside.
- Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl.
- Add grated cheese, onion, olives, flour, baking powder and combine.
- At the end, add tuna chunks and chopped parsley leaves and carefully mix all together.
- Pour the mixture into two baking dishes to fill ⅔ of them both.
- Bake for 48 minutes at 180 C / 356 F.