Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars: Triple Decker of your dreams !
This story started with my decision to make Dulce de Leche from scratch. When I have read it takes two hours to prepare I almost gave up ! BUT, it came out that it requires only 15 minutes of my active time so I am happy to say that heavy – bottomed saucepan, 5 1/2 cup condensed milk,7 Tbsp sugar, vanilla bean and a pinch of salt make great Dulce de Leche that could be kept in the fridge for 3 – 4 weeks. All together, at the end of the process, I got 2 1/2 cups of Dulce de Leche; just enough to make these bars and something else yet to be discovered.
What is important is that you stay near the stove and stir condensed milk every twenty minutes but at the end, when the mixture becomes golden brown,you need to stir for approximately fifteen minutes frequently since it thickens quickly. So, to use my time the best possible way, I sat close to the stove, did the computer work, mixing Dulce occasionally and and after one hour and forty minutes payed all my attention to the beautiful fragrance of Dulce de Leche. One more important thing: when Dulce is cooled, pour it into a fine sieve and strain into a bowl to have a nice smooth paste.
I used simple chocolate chip cookie dough for the base so after cooling I used half of it to cover the bottom of 8 x 8 inches brownies pan. The other half waited aside to cut the flowers to cover Dulce before baking. If you are not into cutting the shapes, flattened patches of the remaining cookie dough work well.
This is how it looks when baked and still hot :
- 7 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup Dulce de Leche
- Combine warm butter and sugar in a small pot, warming it slowly, to dissolve.
- In a bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt)
- Add butter and sugar mixture, egg, heavy cream, vanilla extract. Mix well.
- When cooled, add chocolate chips and for a dough.
- Leave in the fridge for 2 or 3 hours.
- Cover the brownie pan with baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Press half of the cookie dough into the brownie pa.
- Cover it with Dulce the Leche.
- Roll the other half of the dough and cut the flowers out to cover Dulce de Leche.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, garnish with chocolate ganache if desired.