Butternut Squash Gorgonzola Risotto : in the mood.
Good risotto creates a festival of flavours and sensations. This one celebrates first days of autumn, the most colourful time of year.
Butternut squash and Gorgonzola dancing together with Arborio and wine are the highlight of the day. All together, it takes 50 minutes to make it but, believe me it is worth of every single minute. If you are not in the mood to spend that much time for making it during the week, keep the ingredients for the week end. You will not regret it !
Italians say risotto needs a proper mind and time set. Hope you agree to that.
It is not just a supper you have after torned at work or anyplace else. Risotto is more than that. It brings you back to Life. It makes you feel good. When you sit to taste the goodness of it, people around you must feel the same. It is contagious. It takes you to higher ground.
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut to cubes
- Water to cover the cubes
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup risotto rice ( Carnaroli or Arborio or Vialone Nano)
- ½ cup + 4 Tbsp white wine
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp water
- ½ bouillon cube
- 3 oz (0.18 lb) Gorgonzola
- salt to taste
- Peel and clean the butternut squash. Cut to cubes to have 2 cups.
- Boil the cubes for 5 minutes, covered with water and a pinch of salt.
- While the butternut squash is on the stove, cut the onion and fry it with butter in a skillet until golden brown.
- When the butternut squash cubes are done, strain them and put aside.
- Add rice to the onions and fry it all together for one minute.
- Melt bouillon cube in the water.
- Pour wine to rice and gently mix it to combine stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed.
- Continue adding water stirring continuously for another 10 minutes.
- Add butternut squash cubes. If necessary, mash the cubes with fork to have a smoother texture.
- Remove from heat, add Gorgonzola, mix well and serve.
- Garnish with grated cheese and sage to leaves taste.