Meatball and Vegetable Salad with Sour Cream and Dill Dressing: Summer salad for meat and vegetable lovers.
The heat is hitting us every single day building up to a storm with heavy rain. We are trying to adapt to the situation as best we can. My home is full of grime every morning, brought in during the night by the heavy winds through our windows, which are kept open for some fresh air. Luckily, the nights are still pleasant. The heat has not quite come to stay yet, so my son and I still wake up refreshed, ready to run through the day.
On my way home, the streets are so hot that fruit and vegetables have to be bought inside the shops, not on the streets as normal. However, there is the seasonal fruits and vegetables are so beautiful that it is not hard to get a cooking inspiration for even the pickiest eaters.
It is rather upsetting to see how the situation has changed in past few years: we have to open the windows wide during the night, and close the shutters during the day. However, we want to avoid air-conditioning as much as possible, by trying to adjust naturally to the increased temperatures.
- Ingredients for meatballs:
- 3 cups minced meat ( beef / pork)
- ½ medium sized onion, finely chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- 6 Tbsp sunflower oil
- Vegetables for the salad:
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 medium sized cucumber, sliced
- 20 small sized tomatoes, various colours
- 1 cup olives, pitted
- Dressing ingredients:
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Salt to taste
- Using your hands, mix the meat, onion, salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a medium sized bowl.
- Shape the meatballs, using 1 Tbsp of meat for each (27 meatballs)
- Pour the oil into a skillet, warm over a medium heat.
- Fry the meatballs until golden on all sides. When finished, place them onto kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing.
- Arrange the salad vegetables in a dish suitable to hold the meatballs as well.
- Combine the meatballs with the vegetables, garnish with the dressing and serve.