Tuna Melt French Toast Roll Ups: new way to enjoy tuna melt.
Canned tuna is something I am used to having in my pantry. It is one of those cans you count on when you are really not prepared to make something complicated. So, when I am short of time or inspiration, the easiest thing to do is to use toast, canned tuna, some butter, cheese and garlic to make classic tuna melts at the speed of light.
But, we needed a change. Since we love French Toast Roll Ups, I rolled in tuna, parsley, cream cheese and Tomato Salsa and watched my son’s face to see his reaction on tasting it. I was rewarded with a big smile.
After being fried golden all around, then served with a few drops of lemon sprinkled on each roll, and some greens on the side, it turned out to be good – actually very good indeed !
If you have all the ingredients at home, it takes thirty minutes to make this refreshing appetizer. And, you know me : any leftovers can be warmed up in a microwave at the office to make a great work lunch the next day too!
- 10 slices of French Toast
- 4 Tbsp tuna meat (packed in water, drained)
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese
- Garlic powder to taste
- Parsley leaves, chopped to taste
- 4 Tbsp tomato salsa
- 1 egg + ½ cup milk + salt to taste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, Italian style
- ½ cup vegetable oil, approx.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, optional
- Cut the crust away from the toast slices and flatten them with a rolling pin.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt to taste.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a separate shallow bowl or plate.
- Place ½ tsp tomato salsa on each bread slice and spread it over ⅔ of the surface.
- Place ½ tsp tuna meat, ½ tsp cream cheese, garlic powder and parsley leaves to taste on every bread slice.
- Roll each slice to form a small roll.
- In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil.
- Bathe each roll in the egg-milk mixture and then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry until golden brown on all sides. Add more oil to the pan if needed.
- When finished, lay the rolls onto paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with a few drops of lemon juice, if desired.