Mexican Pizza with One Secret Ingredient: two beautiful cultures joined together. Heaven!
The first time I came across the idea of making Mexican Pizza was on social networks. I would usually do tortilla wraps, enchiladas, chimichangas or something on those lines, but I loved the idea of making this pizza at first sight. To keep it all together, it is important to spread the refried beans over Tomato Salsa , to keep the other layers firm and in one piece.
As for the refried beans, I chose a cheaper type, which cause me a problem, as I had to enrich them by adding more chili, garlic and chopped coriander: so much for saving money in the wrong place !
Since I was stuck with the beans, I forgot to measure the preparation time. This is a perfect example of how important the start is. One thing leads to another, and suddenly you find yourself in an odd place and time. And, yes, everything started with beans !
The secret ingredient is dark chocolate and it gives a very special, creamy flavour to your Mexican Pizzas!
- 6 corn tortillas, slightly oiled on both sides
- 3 cups refried beans
- 2 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 cups ground beef ( 20 oz approx.)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 small chilis , sliced
- 2 Tbsp dark chocolate, melted
- Salt and chili powder to taste
- Cilantro (coriander) powder to taste
- 6 Tbsp tomato salsa
- 9 Tbsp Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 Tbsp spicy Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sweet corn to garnish
- Prepare a sheet cake baking dish and cover it with baking paper.
- Cook the beef in oil in a skillet until brown. Add the chocolate, garlic, chilis, cilantro and salt to taste. Cook for two more minutes.
- Brush three tortillas lightly with oil on both sides and place them on a sheet of baking paper.
- Spread 2 Tbsp of tomato salsa on each tortilla.
- Cover each tortilla with ⅓ of the refried beans.
- Divide the meat over the beans.
- Cover the pizzas with the remaining tortillas, sandwich style.
- Bake for five minutes, take the dish out and cover the top tortillas with the Mozzarella and Cheddar. Garnish with the sweet corn
- Bake for another five minutes until the cheeses melt.
- Serve while still hot.