Baby Spinach Gorgonzola Creamy Soup: Delicious spring comfort food. Popeye approved !
There is a huge difference in flavour and nutrition if you prepare this soup using frozen spinach rather than fresh, baby leaves. Fresh greens are so much tastier! It is sooo good to enjoy spring and its gifts at last!
This time of year is not perfect for soups, but this baby spinach version is a healthy must for the whole family, especially children. If you find it too light, it can always be just a starter, but this version, empowered as it is with Gorgonzola or Vegan Blue Cheese and a slice of bread or dinner rolls, makes a great weekday dinner.
In my experience, children like stories about being strong and armed with superpowers. The Popeye story makes a great introduction if your kid is with you in the kichen, whether watching or helping or listening. It works every time. And the soup is done in under 15 minutes!
- 4,5 oz baby spinach, fresh
- 1 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup milk (diary or non-diary)
- ½ cup water
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Slices of Gorgonzola or Vegan Blue Cheese
- Wash the spinach leaves and let them boil in salty water for 1 minute or until wilted.
- Strain the spinach and chop finely.
- In a pot, fry the flour in oil until lightly brown.
- Add the spinach, milk, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to avoid lumps.
- Add the Gorgonzola or Vegan Blue Cheese to melt in the soup and serve.