Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole is a great one-pan flavoursome dish packed with tasty ingredients and mile–high cracker crumbs!
What I like about this all-in-one meal is the baking phase: it’s usual for everybody to drop into the kitchen here, once succulent flavours start coming out of the oven. It is so funny to see how people instantly become hungry!
This is because of the perfectly balanced crackers with butter and cheddar, they create instant involvement, one way or another. Once baked, the quantity does not seem enough for four adults but it is. Really.
I am fond of cooking my recipes in several small dishes, so I decided to bake this one in two smaller dishes, each holding a volume of 3 cups, rather than one large one. You may prefer to use a single dish.
Since this casserole contains a lot of tasty ingredients, a bowl of salad is all that is needed to make for a perfect lunch or dinner.
- 1½ lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Water to cover the meat while cooking
- 1 bouillon cube
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup salted crackers (crushed)
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups finely shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- Put the chicken breasts, lemon juice and bouillon cube into a pot. Cover the meat with water and allow to boil over medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Before draining the meat, take out 3 Tbsp of the chicken soup and mix it with the sour cream. Salt to taste.
- Drain the meat, let it cool and shred it to get 3.5 cups.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, crushed crackers and poppy seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F /180° C.
- Lightly oil the baking dish, or two 4 x 6.3-inch dishes.
- Pour half of the sour cream mixture into the baking dish(es).
- Lay the shredded chicken over the mixture, then pour the rest onto it.
- Sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese and finish by topping with the cracker mixture.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes if using a single dish, 15 minutes for 2 dishes.