French Toast Rolls with Homemade Nutella: Joined forces with French Toast, homemade Nutella and Cinnamon are our new favourite, recently discovered!
Most of the time, I make Monte Cristo sandwiches to have with a glass of yogurt for breakfast. Usually they are loaded with mozzarella and ham or, if we both are into vegetables, I make a spinach and cheese combination.
Yesterday, I made a nutty-chocolate paste at home, and it was, as always, just the beginning of the story. My son started testing the taste with a teaspoon, combining unbelievable combinations and ingredients. You should have seen the jars on the table; just like the seasonal clear-out of the pantry.
It seems these rolls will become our family favourite, as they are quickly done, and give my son numerous possibilities for mixing the colours of the most impossible ingredients to fit together.
I am fond of these for a much simpler reason: I love nutty chocolate and Nutella, and I love cinnamon. That’s about it.
So, this week, I added more French Toast and hazelnuts to my shopping list. A new favourite discovered!
- Ingredients for French Toast Roll Ups:
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil to grease the pan
- 10 slices of French Toast
- 10 tsp nutty-chocolate paste or Nutella
- 1 whole egg + ½ cup of milk (dairy or vegan substitute)
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Ingredients for the homemade Nutella:
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 cup + 4 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 3 Tbsp pure bitter cocoa powder
- 10 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE HOMEMADE NUTELLA:
- In a frying pan, toast the hazelnuts until the skin starts to fall off.
- Rub the nuts to remove the skin. Leave to cool.
- In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts to a paste and add the sugar, cocoa, coconut oil, salt and vanilla extract.
- Blend well to get a smooth paste. Spoon into glass jars.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE FRENCH TOAST ROLL UPS:
- Cut the crust away from the bread slices and flatten them with a rolling pin.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and milk.
- In a separate bowl or plate mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- Place 1 tsp of Nutella on each bread slice and spread it over c. ⅔ of the surface.
- Roll each slice to form a small roll.
- In a frying pan, heat the coconut oil.
- Bathe the rolls in the egg-milk mixture and fry until golden brown on all sides. Add oil to the pan when needed.
- While the rolls are still hot, roll them in the sugar-cinnamon mixture until completely covered in sugar.
- Serve while still warm.
The time mentioned in the recipe is needed for making the rolls only.