Blueberry Pie with Lemon: Comforting lattice pie with a touch of fresh lemon zest. Amazing !
I am sure that every family has its own blueberry pie recipe. We are no exception to that. To make the flavour a bit different, I have made a slight change and added some lemon zest to the crust. It is not a huge thing to do but it makes a big difference, like all the little things that bring change to familiar dishes when you start to think creatively.
Also, there is one other thing I really like to do when baking: instead of using a big, normal dish, I bake the pies, casseroles, brownies or any other dessert in two or three smaller dishes. That’s how I get more crust to share with my son, and there is always a separate dish of food left for the office brunch, lunch or coffee break. Also, my neighbours are open to sharing and we surprise each other now and then…
So, what you see are two little blueberry pies. The rounded dishes are 6 and 7 inches in diameter respectively.
- Ingredients for the crust:
- 2.5 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 5 Tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg yolk + 1 Tbsp water for egg wash
- Ingredients for filling:
- 2.5 cups frozen blueberries
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp starch
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- On a flat surface, knead the crust combining all the crust ingredients.
- Let the crust rest in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- In a medium sized pot, slowly boil the blueberries with lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and starch together and add to the boiling blueberries. Mix the filling and boil it for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Cut and lay the baking paper in both of the dishes and butter the baking paper.
- Take the crust out of the fridge and divide into ⅔ for the bottoms and the sides and ⅓ for the lattice ribbons.
- Roll the crust to the size that covers the bottom and the sides of each dish.
- Roll out the remaining third of the crust and cut in into ribbons for the lattice.
- Put 5 Tbsp of filling into the smaller dish and 7 Tbsp of filling into the bigger one.
- Cover the filling with the ribbons, egg wash them and bake for 35 minutes.