Savory Sweet Potato Cheesy Casserole: amazing cheesy side dish !
When done for the first time, I had it for lunch with a bowl of lettuce and it showed to be a mixture of sweet and savory flavours that fits fine with the greens aside. Having this in mind, I think it could be also served as a main dish.
Mozzarella is perfect to use since it melts quickly at the top of it and this side dish is quickly done. Parmesan combined with the potatoes puree gives a very special cheesy, creamy taste so I suggest you go for it !
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled, cubed): 1,5 cup potato puree
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 slices of smoked bacon, cut to 1 inch parts
- 5 mozzarella balls
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Butter for the pan
- Parsley leaves to garnish
- Boil the sweet potato cubes on a medium heat for 12 – 15 minutes (until tender).
- Drain the potatoes and mash to get a puree.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Add the Parmesan, sour cream, salt and pepper to the puree and mix until smooth.
- Butter the dish.
- Remove the puree into the baking dish and place mozzarella balls and bacon slices on the top.
- Garnish with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until mozzarella melts.
- Serve warm, garnished with parsley leaves.