Double Chocolate Sacher Brownies: Franz Sacher who invented the famous cake would love it for sure !
This is one of our winter favourites and it’s also the reason for my commitment to making apricot jam every single summer because we always make The Sacher cake with this kind of jam. To have Sacher cake or brownies combined with apricot jam is definitely the best combination for my son and me. If you have some apricot jam to hand, you’ll see, the result will be amazing !
Of course, the cake and brownies can be made with any other kind of sharp, sour jam, like cherry or raspberry just as well. If you decide to make a portion of these for a weekend or a holiday, try to find a jam of your choice of that type. It gives the dessert a very special flavour.
- Ingredients for Brownies:
- 6 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 6 yolks
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder, semi sweet
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp apricot jam to glaze the brownies when cooled completely
- Ingredients for Chocolate ganache:
- 6 Tbsp thick cream
- 6 Tbsp chocolate chips
- 4 Tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 356 F.
- Cover the 11 x 7 inches baking dish with baking paper.
- Butter the baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix the egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add butter, yolks, cocoa powder, baking powder and flour and mix gently.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 10 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
- Let the brownies cool completely and gently spread the apricot jam over the top.
- In a small pot, on medium heat, warm the thick cream and 4 Tbsp of water, then remove from the heat. Add chocolate chips and mix until even.
- Spread over the brownies, cut the slices and serve.
Sacher Chocolate Cake is out of the ordinary, the most famous Viennese culinary specialty. I have modified the shape only. This recipe, again, is inherited from my grandmother.