Butternut Squash and Italian Sausage Galette: Amazing autumn flavors.
Beautiful autumn colors are everywhere we look. The street markets are full of all sorts of pumpkins which entice us to create as many dishes as possible.
Our family’s favourite is the Butternut Squash and we like using it both in savoury and sweet dishes.
Since I do our weekend shopping on Thursdays, Friday evening is the most beautiful part of the whole week. Then I know that two days of rest are here, and I am so relaxed that inspiration and creativity come pouring out as if it’s Christmas.
This Butternut Squash Galette is the result of one such creative evening: to make it different from the others, I added some poppy seeds to the pastry. When the pastry was done and left in the fridge, I peeled and cut the squash halves into thin slices and boiled them over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
The square shape is not a must. I did it to make a visual change.
- Pastry ingredients:
- 1,5 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- 5 Tbsp water
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Pinch of baking powder
- Egg yolk for egg wash
- Filling ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 pair of Italian sausages removed from casings (1 cup meat )
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups butternut squash slices (cooked previously)
- Rosemary to garnish
- On a table, quickly combine the pastry ingredients, mixing until firm, then leave in the fridge.
- In a frying pan, fry the chopped onions, oil and sausage until lightly browned.
- Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Roll the pastry to form a square 10 x 10 inches.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper, and lay the pastry on it.
- Break the egg and add it together with the Parmesan to the cooled pan mixture.Mix it all together. Spread the mixture over the pastry, combining with the butternut squash slices, leave a 1.5 inch border around the edges.
- Overlap and fold the pastry, pressing the overlapping edges together.
- Gently spread butter over the top of the filling.
- Egg wash the folded pastry.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with rosemary and serve.