Apple Galette: delightfully open-faced rustic treat that is quick and easy to make with store bought pie crust.
While doing a late Friday shopping for a weekend ahead, I have bought a package of ready to bake pie crust. The first idea for a weekend dessert was a classic apple pie but then I though of a galette since it has been months since I have made it. Among all sorts of apples, I have chosen Jonagolds, sweet and juicy.
When started to prepare the ingredients, I have measured the crust when unrolled: 10 x 16 inches so when cutting the circle for the galette, the diameter was 10 inches, before folding it. I did not even think of throwing the crust away ! I used it for flower shaped cookies to serve with Blackberry Apple Earl Grey Jam
Irresistible cinnamon flavor has filled the kitchen only a few minutes after the baking process started and signalized that colder and shorter days are coming, bringing the very special time of the year.
- Pie crust, store bought
- 1 Tbsp apple jelly / jam
- 1 Tbsp biscuit crumbs
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 Tbsp to sprinkle folded crust before baking
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp milk for brushing the folded crust
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Cut the crust to have 10 inches in diameter.
- Lay the baking paper into a baking dish and place a crust onto it.
- Apply apple jelly in the center of the crust leaving around 1,5 inch border.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the jelly.
- In a bowl, gently mix apple slices, cinnamon, lemon zest and sugar.
- Arrange apple slices in circle over the jelly/crumbs surface.
- Overlap and fold the crust and press it where overlapping.
- Gently spread melted butter over the apples.
- Brush the milk over the folded crust parts. Do not milk brush the apples.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the folded crust.
- Bake for 26 minutes.
- Before serving, garnish with chopped almonds.