Papa a la Huancaina is spicy Peruvian lettuce wrap that could satisfy event the most demanding eaters: simple lunch that makes you smile all day long !
Purple potatoes are coming from Andean valleys and it is interesting to know that they have survived for 6.000 years and still are inspiration for chefs all over.
All the things I have found while looking for more information about potatoes have made me looking for more about their history and culture. Corn, potatoes, amaranth, quinoa, chilis; all of these are super foods and are serving well all the peoples living in South America and should not be ignored. They are basic ingredients for marvelous Peruvian dishes. If it happens that you cannot get purple potatoes, white or yellow ones are quite all right. It is only the color missing on the plate, nothing else.
Now I understand why Peruvians smile all the time: it’s the food. This is the reason.
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, quartered
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Crispy Fried Onions
- 2 Tbsp salty cracker crumbs
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1,5 cup cooked Peruvian potatoes, sliced
- Chili slices to garnish
- On a plate, lay 2 lettuce leaves.
- In a small bowl, mix cheese, yogurt, onions and crumbs. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Put potato slices on lettuce leaves and arrange the dish with eggs, cheese mixture and chilis.